A Pioneer in Family Backyard Living
For over 60 years, Gohlke Pools has been a pioneer in family backyard living. Since 1958, when Gene Gohlke built one of Denton’s first family swimming pools, the Gohlke family has provided service and innovative design, shaping the backyard landscape throughout the region. Gohlke Pools is a nationally recognized pool builder with a creative design team that will help to create the right pool for your home and your budget. At Gohlke Pools we believe the Texas lifestyle means spending as much time outdoors as possible. We look forward to working with you to assure that every moment outdoors is a memorable moment.
Ten Reasons to Buy a Gohlke Pool
- We are a full-service swimming pool company – new pool construction, pool repair, pool renovation, weekly service, and a fully-stocked retail store.
- Award winning pool company – multiple regional and national pool design award winner; named to Aqua 100 – the Swimming Pool Company Hall of Fame; named as the Baylor Family Business of the Year (small business division).
- Highly trained personnel – more Certified Building Professionals and Certified Pool Operators than any pool company in Texas. read more…
- Free pool care classes & CPR classes. (see our events calendar)
- Over 200 years of combined pool experience.
- We are the warranty station for most major equipment manufacturers.
- We make pool care simple with easy-to-follow systems and computerized water analysis.
- Fully licensed and fully insured.
- Stability – 50 years of service assures you that we will be here tomorrow to back up what we say today.
- Locally owned and operated – your money stays in Denton County.
History of Gohlke Pools
In 1953, Gene Gohlke came from Denison, where he grew up, to Denton to attend North Texas State University. In February of 1956, he went to work for Bert Moore (now deceased), owner of Moore Building Products. Moore Building Products sold masonry supplies, concrete blocks, and other building products mostly to the building trade. Mr. Moore and Gene felt the time was right to begin building residential swimming pools and formed a partnership in 1958 named Royal Pools of Denton. The pools in those days were built in much the same way pools are today with the exception of one major difference. Instead of using the current method of applying gunite (applying the concrete by shooting it through a hose at high pressure and stacking it up the walls), the concrete truck would back up to the pool and dump the load onto the floor of the pool. Laborers would then begin hand stacking the concrete up the walls. It was a very effective method of building pools as they have withstood the test of time. In 1962, Royal Pools tried the gunite method, which is a much easier method of applying the concrete. They built approximately 75 pools before deciding to cease pool construction in 1963. Included in the pools that were built by Royal Pools that are still in operation are the VFW pool, Clayton House Hotel pool and residential pools in Denton on Mistywood, Ector, Bolivar, Cordell, Woodland and Archer Trail. Most all of the pools at that time were diving pools, and cost approximately $3,500 to $4,000.
In 1963, Gene purchased the business from Bert Moore and shortly thereafter opened Gohlke Pool Supply as a separate business, selling pool supplies and offering repairs and weekly cleaning service. They continued to service pools and provide supplies for the pools they had built through Moore Building Products. In 1974, Gene renamed Moore Building Products to Gene Gohlke Building Products.
In 1984, when Matt Gohlke graduated from Texas Christian University, he joined the family business working for Gohlke Pool Supply. In 1985, Matt & Gene formed a partnership, Gohlke Custom Pools, to resume pool construction. In 1986, Gohlke Pools (Gohlke Pool Supply and Gohlke Custom Pools) moved to 615 Dallas Drive. In 1992, Matt purchased Gohlke Pool Supply and the remaining 50% of Gohlke Custom Pools.
In 1995, the Service Department move into a 4000 sq. ft. warehouse on Frame Street and in 2000, moved Gohlke Custom Pools (pool construction) to 620 Dallas Drive. This meant that the business had now grown to three independent divisions working out of three separate locations. Although this move created space for all three divisions to flourish, it created some logistical problems.
In the Spring of 2003, all three divisions (construction, retail, & service) moved to 909 Dallas Drive where they are still located today.